How to become a Model
You can either get casted by an agency directly on the streets or look for agencies in the next bigger city. Moreover, you can find lots of agencies on the web.
Important: check the agency’s portfolio of clients and their online representation (like Instagram or website)
Good to know: The website models.com has a great selection of model agencies. You can select your country and city to see some of the local agencies.
Of course there are more agencies but it is already a good overview.
Once you found your agency contact them via phone. And don’t give up if the first agency doesn’t want you directly under contract.
Once you selected an agency have a look on the category “how to become a model”. On this site, you can find which material they need from you to become one of their models. E.g. you would have to upload natural pictures and a catwalk video of you. Of course, your personal details like name, age, measurements etc. will be asked after as well. That’s the way how to approach an agency online.
Another way is to call them directly. Then they will let you know what information or material they need from you upfront.
Of course, It always makes a better impression if the agency gets to know you in person. So, my advice for you, contact them first by phone. Then they will tell you what material they need from you and on which date you can get to know them in person.
Maybe you already know a model and she/he can recommend one of their agencies to you. Otherwise have a look online how the agency is ranked and if they are recommended to work with. In case always contact them and get to know them in person. Then you will realize what your gut feeling is and if you can imagine working with them.
At models.com you can find a good selection of agencies.
After you met the agency they will either let you know directly or after some days if they want to work with you. So, it’s always individual how long it takes until you get feedback. But for sure they will give you a date until when they give you feedback.
Remember, it’s not just the agency’s choice if you will work together but also yours.
Your agency will send you an appointment with one of their clients. That means this specific client wants to see you at a certain time for a future collaboration.
Once you’re at the specific location you will get to know the client.
Of course, it always depends which type of job you get casted for.
If you will be casted for a catwalk show, of course the client wants to see your catwalk.
If it’s for a photo shooting they will put you in front of a camera to see your posing. Sometimes you will also have to put their clothes on if it’s for a fashion brand.
Good to know: there is a huge variety of castings it can also be spontaneous like e.g. I had to sing once in Italian 😉
How to improve as a Model
Have a look on the amazing website of Pinterest. There you can collect pictures of the world’s top models on an online pin board. Then practice the specific poses of the top models in front of a mirror. Search for photos from different themes and products:
Good basics are: Magazine covers, magazine shootings, beauty shoots, perfume advertising, etc. Select those pictures which are important for your type of model.
Also look for a huge variety of emotions in the models faces and practice them with your face. Practice those poses so they become subconsciously and you will do them automatically at your next shooting.
Good to know: The emotions you’re feeling during a shoot are very important. If you should be a serious person, feel serious, if you should be a happy person, feel happy by thinking about so/sth that makes you happy. Only if you really feel a specific emotions the pictures become authentic.
I selected portfolio links of some of nowadays top models to give you more pictures for your posing training.
Practicing is key. Put on your high heels very often in your daily routine.
Get comfortable in every shoe regarding height and shape.
Watch Fashion week videos on YouTube from different designers.
Practice, practice, practice with different shoes and clothes. So you will be able to walk in any shoe for a show and you will still master the catwalk with self-confidence.
This is my step-by-step guide:
- Stand straight, erectness
- lock your hips,
- make your legs long,
- be self-confident,
- feel the certain clothes and feel good in them.
- Become the person which the brand stands for. Feel like a Dior girl, Gucci girl or any other brand’s girl.
- Focus on one spot on the horizon,
- feel the music and live the designer’s clothes.
- Start to walk and put your foot always in front of the other foot.
- Walk a line on the catwalk until the end of it.
- Find a good pose at the end of the catwalk. (It always depends on the designer which pose they wish for or if you have to turn around directly.) Always get consciously into your pose. Don’t stop abrupt at the end of the catwalk, which appears as if you are surprised and insecure that the catwalk is suddenly finished. Get self-confident into your pose hold it for around 4 seconds and then turn around and walk back.
- Practice the whole walk with your most uncomfortable high heels, normal high heels, flat shoes and barefooted.
It’s a huge difference in every outfit and shoe.
Watch the supermodels and imitate their walk and for sure find your own style. Watch how their posture is. Then practice as often as possible. I practiced my runway three months every day and still do it.
Ask your partner, another model, your agency or a good friend if they can watch your walk and help you to improve it.
Those clothes and shoes are a must-have for a model:
- Black high-heels (a pointed toe-cap makes your beautiful legs even look longer. Heel height at least 10 cm / about 3,93” . You should practice a lot with your shoes to be able to walk perfectly in them.)
- Nude-colored, seamless string thong and panties.
- Nude-colored, seamless bra with and also without bra straps (most natural shape, best without push-up)
- The same underwear in black
- Formfitting black and dark blue jeans
- Tops in colors which fit your type
- Formfitting Jeans shorts
Those are just the basics. Of course, you should pimp your outfits with great and trendy fashion items.
The basic shoes are high heels in black. The toe-cap should be pointed, to make your legs look even longer. The heel itself should be quite thin and the heel height should be at least 10 cm / about 3,93”.
If you have any other question regarding modeling just let me know in the comments and I will answer as soon as possible.